Increasing the value of your home is important not only when you are preparing to list it for sale or refinance, but to create a more enjoyable space for your family’s day to day living. When building equity or value you are also creating a more inviting atmosphere you and your family can enjoy as well. When looking for ways to increase the value of your home consider these five areas:
- Curb Appeal – Landscaping or curb appeal around your home will create a more inviting atmosphere as well as increase the value. Things to consider when looking at curb appeal are not only the front landscaping but the backyard as well. Also, look at the exterior of your home. Is there peeling paint? Do the gutters need cleaning? How well maintained are the flower beds? All of these areas help to increase the value of your home by adding curb appeal.
- Windows and Doors – Not only do nice windows and doors add to the curb appeal of your home, they also increase the energy efficiency. New vinyl windows and vinyl patio doors are a great feature to add to your home.
- Energy Efficient Upgrades – Updates to your home that make it more energy efficient adds a lot of value to your home as well as reduces energy costs. Upgrades to consider include not only windows and doors, but energy star appliances, new energy efficient furnace, air conditioner, and water heater.
- New Paint and Carpet – Adding new paint and carpet to your home quickly gives it a more updated and refreshed look. It is good to routinely update the feeling of your home by adding a new coat of paint; you might even consider a new color. Keep your home feeling fresh and new by updating your floor coverings as well. Whether you choose carpet, laminate, or hardwoods; new floor coverings make your entire home feel new again.
- Kitchens and Bathrooms – If you want to make a huge impact that adds lots of value to your home, consider remodeling the kitchen and bathrooms. Bathroom remodels that include new flooring, new fixtures, and even additional amenities quickly add value to your home. More value can even be gained by remodeling a kitchen. From simply updating countertop surfaces and upgrading appliances to completely gutting and adding new cabinets you can quickly change the entire feel of your home with this renovation.
Whether refreshing your home to prepare it for sale, or just to remodel and make it feel new and fresh; consider projects that will add value now and for years to come. As you routinely refresh your home you will find you have enjoyment living in it day to day with your family.