It seems we are always repairing or replacing something in our homes. The most common items in your home that need routine maintenance or tend to need costly repair are:
- Heater/Air conditioning. It is a good idea to have your heater or air conditioning unit inspected each year to ensure proper operation. An air conditioner running low on coolant won’t run as efficiently or cool your home as well as one that is routinely serviced; an AC Repair Provo technician can easily check this for you once a year. The same can be said for you heater. In addition to changing the filters regularly there are other things a trained service professional can check and inspect for you.
- Water Heater. Proper maintenance of your water heater will make it last longer and work more effectively. Particularly if it is a gas appliance, periodically it is wise to have the gas company or other professional check the operation of it to ensure it is working effectively and safely.
- Appliances. There are 5 major appliances in your home you need to routinely clean and maintain to ensure they have a long life. These appliances are: your refrigerator, washer, dryer, stove, and dishwasher. Without any of these appliances life gets a little rough. Routinely cleaning and performing general maintenance on them will allow them to last you many more years. The refrigerator needs to have the coils or air intake area vacuumed. The washer should be cleaned of hard water build up. The dryer, particularly the vent, should be cleaned of any lint build up. The dishwasher should periodically have a cleaner run through it to remove grease/food build up. If you do these items routinely your appliances will continue to run efficiently.
- Faucets. Watch for dripping faucets. This is probably the number one most common repair that needs to be done in a home. Not only is a dripping faucet wasting water, it also costs you money. Sometimes the faucet simply needs a new rubber washer, other times it is worn out and needs to be completely replaced. Whichever the case may be, properly maintaining and replacing leaky faucets benefits us all as it cuts down on the waste of a very precious resource – water.
- Doors/Windows. More importantly the weather stripping around the doors and windows. This is an important home maintenance item because you want to ensure that you are not tirelessly running your heater or air conditioner because of loss of air around windows and doors. Inspect these openings regularly to ensure that you are getting a proper seal, that there are no broken panes, and that latches and knobs function smoothly.
- Roof. Make sure your roof is in good order. Fix any leaks and any issues right away. You don’t want water damage or other damage to your home because you didn’t perform preventative maintenance.
To avoid costly repair expenses, routine maintenance throughout your home is a great investment. The most important things to consider include having your heater and air conditioning checked each year, routinely cleaning and maintaining your major appliances, and caring for the other items in your home. Spending a little on the maintenance now could save you much more in costly repairs later.