Buying a new home can be an exciting as well a nerve wracking experience. From making the offer and getting it accepted to taking care of all the financing conditions, there are many things to take care of. Whether this is your first home purchase or your hundredth, there are things you need to look at and inspect before making the final decision to make an offer.
Here is a list of the most important things you should inspect:
- Check the plumbing. Begin by looking under bathroom and kitchen sinks to inspect for any evidence of leaks either current or past. Flush the toilets and run the sink at the same time to check the water pressure. Inspect the primary plumbing and sewer lines in the basement or crawl space. Look throughout the home for any other signs there might be plumbing concerns, such as water spots on walls or ceilings. If you have any concerns or doubts about the plumbing call in a contractor who specializes in plumbing Fort Worth Texas who can do a thorough inspection for you.
- The furnace and air conditioner should be checked to make sure they are in good working condition, that the furnace is venting properly, and that there are no safety concerns. While you can turn on the furnace or air conditioner to hear and feel them run, you may want to consult a professional who can test the CO levels being emitted as well as perform other tests on the units.
- Climb up and inspect the roof. Are there missing shingles? Does the roof feel soft as you walk on it? If you answered yes to either of these questions you may need to consider that the roof either needs to be replaced or will need to be very soon.
- Check the insulation level in the home. Because a home that is well insulated will be more energy efficient as well as remain cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter you should find out that the home has adequate insulation.
- Finally, check all of the kitchen appliances if they are included in the sale to make sure they are working properly. Making sure that the refrigerator stays cold, the stove heats quickly, or lights quickly if its gas, as well as making sure that the dishwasher runs and drains correctly.
The best advice that can be given to someone buying a new home is to have all of the proper inspections done before finalizing the sale. The easiest, and most time efficient way to inspect your home is to consider hiring an inspection professional who can go through the entire home with you and test all of the above items and more. The inspector will then point out to you any areas of concern.
Buying a new home can be a joyful experience if you take the time to have and inspection so you know the home you get in the end is sound and ready for you and your family to create new memories in.